five things that made me happy this week

Sunday 4 May 2014

1)  Freddie had a check up at the eye hospital on Monday (look here if you didn't catch why!) and he is doing amazing! His prescription has come down again, from +12, to +4.5 and now +2, progress the doctors didn't expect him to make until he was at least 4 or 5. He also did very well in his vision exercises, a massive improvement on last time, and doesn't need another appointment for three months. We have come so far since his operation, and he amazes me every single day.

2) On Wednesday, I was meeting my best friend Jasmin for her birthday lunch at SoLita (my absolute favourite hidden gem of a burger place in Manchester, please go if you get the chance! A magical place where you can find deep fried mac and cheese buns instead of bread buns.) I was meeting Jas at 1 o'clock, and dropped Freddie off at my mums at 10:30. This meant I 2 and a half hours free. To myself. Alone. ALONE. I haven't been entirely alone in 7 months. I had brought a book, Cosmopolitan, and went and sat in my favourite corner in Starbucks, with more than one black americano and a bacon sandwich. It was absolute bliss.

3) On Thursday, me and some of my friends had found ourselves with a couple of free days, AT THE SAME TIME. This never happens. So me and Fred, and my friends Amy and Cathy began our road trip to our friends Jane's in Coventry for the night. I was feeling quite anxious about the trip, I don't know if it was being Fred's sole carer for two whole days, or being away from home with him, but I felt quite nervous. I needn't have bothered obviously, as we had a lovely time, Fred's aunties caught up on some good cuddles, and after bed time, we retired to the living room with a bottle of red and LOTS of talking. The next day, we did a bit of shopping, learnt all about Lady Godiva and went for lunch, before heading home. It was lovely to get away from the daily routine for a bit, and catch up with some of my favourite people.

4) I think I inadvertently taught Freddie something! Whenever I have him standing on his lap, I will say 'Fred, give mummy kiss' and kiss him on the mouth. Now, when I say 'Fred, mummy kiss!' He will open his mouth and put it on mine. There is a lot of dribble and not much actual kissing but I almost cried when he first did it!

a totally unrelated image, but have you ever seen somebody look so chuffed to be in a walker?
5)  Last night, after Freddie was in bed, me and Austin cooked a carbonara (um, he cooked it while I drank a bottle of Peroni) watched Anchorman 2 and ate a load of home made lemon buns and leftover Easter egg cornflake cakes. It was lovely to spend some time together doing what we do best. Staying in and eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment