Chicco Jazzy High Chair - Review

Friday 11 April 2014

As Freddie approaches six months, the question of weaning is becoming more and more prominent. I have already tentatively tried him with a few purée's, all of which were spat out in disgust. Sweet or savoury, warm, cold or room temperature, the kid will not tolerate being spoon fed. Whether it is the texture (i.e none) or the actual spoon he hates I don't know, but it looks like I am being led to baby led weaning. He made this more obvious by snatching a piece of toast out of my hand the other day and shoving it straight into his mouth. After I hyperventilated ARGHTOASTSOLIDFOODCHOKINGBUTTERSALT I took it off him. Looking at his sad little face at being toast-less again, I made him a piece for himself, cut into a soldier with unsalted butter. Two soggy, mushy hours later, that toast was nowhere to be seen.

So, as I resolved to venture into the world of baby led weaning, I realised I needed a high chair. After trawling reviews, forums, blog posts and finally organising high chairs from 'Price Low-High' on several online stores (right?!) I settled on the Chicco Jazzy High Chair.


My first impressions were how good the tray is. It is so big and wide, and can be adjusted to be closer or further away to baby, with a little drink holder. I also loved the bright lime green colour, I try to keep my furniture and accessories bright and colourful, and this fits in so well! The seat is padded and looks comfortable, when I was looking for a high chair I didn't want a fabric one, as I thought they would be awful to clean. This one wipes clean very well, and can also be taken out to be given a thorough clean.


As you can see, the seat sits at a nice height relative to our table, which I think will be useful as we wean Freddie, I hope it will get him used to sitting at the table, and eventually, as he gets bigger, we can remove the tray and have him sat with us at the table. 


The seat is adjustable to three recline positions, really useful for early weaning. We currently have it set to the second, middle setting, as Freddie can sit well unaided, but sometimes falls about a bit so needs some extra room! It is also nice for him to lie back in and have a chill, he will play with his toys in it while watching his afternoon dose of Curious George. 

As with everything, there a couple of things about the Chicco Jazzy that concerned me at first. Firstly was the five point harness. While this is obviously an excellent safety feature, doing baby led weaning my first thought was what if there was a choking emergency? I would have to fiddle about undoing the straps and getting him out, wasting valuable time. But as you can see from the top picture, the Chicco Jazzy also has a (I don't know what to call it...) crotch support? Crotch stopper? The piece of plastic that stops them sliding out of the high chair, and as he gets a bit bigger and more steady, we might not have to have him strapped in if he sits well in it. 

I also noticed how wide set the legs are, which could be an issue if you only have a small space, although it folds up very well, and can easily be folded away.


I thought I would do a review of this high chair, because it took me so long to decide on one, and other people's reviews came in really handy when I couldn't decide! I am really happy with this, and can see us keeping it well into Freddie's toddler years!

No comments:

Post a Comment