the stories they tell

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Are there songs you listen to, and are immediately transported back to a place? Or a person? Or perhaps a film, or a certain book, even a television programme or type of food. I think clothes can often tell the same stories. There are certain items of clothes I own, that hold so many memories for me, I don't think I'll ever be able to part with them. Some just because of how pretty they are, some because of something special that happened while I was wearing them. I thought it might be nice to share some of them here with you.


a picture from that night.
This is relatively new. This is a Lavish Alice play suit I bought a couple of months ago. It is crushed velvet, and an absolutely gorgeous deep green emerald colour. I bought it for my first 'big' night out since Freddie has been born, and the thought of dressing up, with my new post-baby body made me heave a bit. This shows off my best bits (hello boobs) and hides the worst. I love the low cut draping back with the two little buttons, with matching buttons on the sleeves. I love play suits, although they tend to become a bit of an issue when you have had a couple of drinks and you find it knotted around you in the toilets.


the night we got engaged.

Oh I love this dress. This picture was taken in the pub my family used to own, and I bought this dress for the leaving party we had when we left. It was from Topshop, and I love how versatile it is, I have worn it with tights and a blazer for job interviews, and with bare legs and heels on nights out. Unfortunately I will never be able to wear this again, as I wore it to a meal once and spilt tomato sauce all down it, and try as I might I can not get the stain out. I still can't bear to throw it out though! This picture was taken on the 11th of October 2010, and I am not entirely sure who that man is on the left. We had a LOT to drink that night, and about 4 pints in Austin asked me to marry him. I laughed in his face and told him to ask me again in the morning when he's sober if he means it. He did.

This is a pleather pleated skirt from Topshop (remember when I could buy things from Topshop?) in a lovely dusty pink colour. I bought it to wear to the Moulin Rouge in Paris, and the picture on the right was taken just before we left the hotel. It was such an amazing evening, just the right amount of naked books, delicious food and French comedy. This is also something you can dress up or down, it looks really nice with my grey marl jumper and boots.


Finally, I think this has to be my favourite thing in my wardrobe. I bought this from Ryan Vintage in Manchester about four years ago. I was in there shopping with my friend Eve, and we spotted it at the same time, and both grabbed it and ended up arguing over who could buy it. Luckily, we lived together at the time and I was able to assure her that it was far better for me to buy it, because it would save her money and she could borrow it WHENEVER she wanted. (She never has... sorry Eve) It is just beautiful. It is a cream chiffon bolero, with really intricate gold sequin detailing all over it, it is really quite heavy! It just feels so lovely on, and I feel like it really just finishes off most outfits! Even those days where you feel like you have NO clothes and NOTHING to wear and everything looks AWFUL and you don't want to go out. (Just me...?) I will just put on some skinny jeans and a black vest, with this and a pair of heels. It has that wonderful vintage/old smell still because I am too afraid to wash it because of its delicacy, and I always wonder who wore it before me. 

As you can see, I get my use out of this jacket.
My 21st birthday meal.
New Years Eve 2011.
The time we met Katy Perry's band.
What are your favourite items of clothing?

2 comments:

  1. Aw what a fun post, I love the first dress! My favourite pieces of clothing are skinny jeans and I pair them with a blouse or jumper. My go-to mummy outfit ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely :) skinny jeans are a staple!

    xx

    ReplyDelete